Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Election Results Analysis

Well, I have been holding off posting about elections. Many of you (my friends) have known that I have predicted that Hillary Clinton would win the presidency. I called this over a decade ago (and I have witnesses), when she was still the First Lady, not a citizen of New York, not a Senator from New York, not a democratic presidential candidate hopeful. Back then, I remember being questioned on Hillary's political aspirations (or apparent lack thereof at that time). I guess at least that question has been conclusively answered.

I am not going to focus on my precognative abilities any further in this post. What I want to focus on is some of the election results and demographics.

Tonight, as I listen to election coverage, I hear things that disturb me, as it reflects negatively on the state of our nation at its core.

Women are voting for Hillary, African Americans are voting for Obama, and the Mormons are voting for Romney. As the results of the elections pour in, we discover that we are still a selfish and self-centered nation. We vote for the candidate we most identify with personally. We still believe that if someone shares our gender, race or religion, that person will represent us best. There is a certain amount of distrust for someone "other".

I would have hoped that we would have been able to move beyond things like gender and race and vote for the person who has the best ideas and abilities to lead our nation.

What these results tell me is that the presidential race is a popularity contest, with the person "most like me" winning that contest.

How petty.

We have a political responsibility to elect the best candidate. When we make it a popularity contest or simply elect the person who will guarantee the most money from the public coffers to "me personally", we abuse that responsibility and mock the blood of those over the centuries who have died to provide this unprecedented level of political power.

How tragic.

Aloha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home